- Serves 1
I had a jam packed day. I had some cleaning to do around the apartment, had 2 meetings at work, run some errands and baby-proof the apartment for my neice’s visit. I started the day with cleaning and next thing I know I had an hour to eat, shower and get ready for the meetings. I opened the fridge and stared at the stuff I had in there for a minute. I grabbed the eggs and decided to make scrambled eggs but realized I didn’t have bread. I need some kind of carb with my eggs. So opened the fridge again…time was running by…and I had a “Chopped” moment where I had to make a meal in 20 with the ingredients I had. I grabbed corn tortillas, veggies, cheese and decided to make it work. And the result was Heuvos Rancheros.
They turned out pretty delicious and I made it on time for the meetings at work. —themessimake.com
- part 1
small corn tortilla
shredded cheddar cheese
extra virgin olive oil
- Pico de Gallo
finely chopped tomatoes
finely chopped onions
finely chopped cilantro
crushed red pepper
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Add oil or cooking spray.
- Place the corn tortilla on the pan and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Flip the tortilla.
- Add eggs right on top of the cooked side of the tortilla. (Make sure the yolk doesn’t break when you crack the egg)
- Cook for about 3 minutes and then flip the tortilla+eggs over. Here’s the thing…you don’t have to flip them, but if you’re in a rush, cooking them over easy or over medium would be faster. It does make a bit of a mess when you flip them over, that is the reason why the tortilla is folded over because the egg yolks shifted to one side of the tortilla. It turned into a Huevos Rancheros taco..so easy to eat. Anyway, if you have time, then you can let them cook sunny side up until the egg whites go from clear to white.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for pico de gallo.
- Once the eggs are cooked, place the tortilla+eggs on a plate, add salt and pepper if you want and serve with pico de gallo.