Author Notes: Nothing says summer like a barbecue on a hot summer night! Fragrant rosemary skewers packed with filets of steak wrapped in thinly sliced pancetta and fresh sausages grilled over an open fire...my oh my! This is a barbecue Italian-style with spiedini or skewers with anything from fish to meat and/or vegetables. Tonight at the farmhouse it's grilled meat spiedini all the way, with grilled polenta & a garden salad.
On those balmy nights when barbecuing is best, I love it because you're outside standing by the grill and not instead sweating over a hot stove! —La Tavola Marche
- Meat: steak wrapped with pancetta (or bacon) , sausages on skewers, you can substitute pork, lamb, shrimp - any cut of your choice for grilling.
- chili flakes
- coarse sea salt
- herbs of your choice (sage compliments pork, veal & sausage nicely)
- 4 skewers: rosemary branches, long woody pieces, if you can’t find that use wooden or stainless steel sticks
- olive oil
- In a mortar & pestle add garlic, chili flakes, zest of 1/2 lemon, coarse sea salt, herbs and mash together with enough olive oil to make a paste.
- Quarter sausages and set aside as they have already been seasoned. Cut steak into chunks slightly larger than the sausages and toss with the herb paste and wrap with a slice of the pancetta
- ak into chunks slightly larger than the sausages and toss with the herb paste and wrap with a slice of the pancetta. Fill your skewers alternating steak and sausage. Grill!