If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is adapted from my best friend's mother-in-law, Sui. She makes this for every family party. It's delicious and almost addictive, surprising given the unusual ingredients of apples and mandarin orange segments added to a traditional egg & potato salad. Use a sweet apple for this potato salad, like fujis. Tart apples just don't work here. —HalfPint
pound waxy potatoes, e.g. Yukon Gold
large hard-boiled eggs, shelled & coarse chopped
can mandarin oranges, drained
cup diced sweet apples
cup mayonnaise, plus more if needed
- Peel potatoes and cut into large 1 inch-ish dice. Gently boil in salted water until just tender, but still somewhat firm. Drain well and transfer to large bowl.
- Add mayo and toss to coat the potatoes. Add more mayo, 1Tb increments, if the mixture looks too dry. You don't want the potatoes swimming in mayo, but you also do not want it dry.
- Add eggs and apples, gently combine with the potatoes.
- Check the seasoning and add salt, in 1/2 tsp increments. Because the potato salad will be chilled and served cold, you will need to salt it to your preference and then add a little bit more. The salad should taste just slightly overseasoned while it's still warm. Add pepper, ~1/2 tsp or to taste.
- Gently fold in orange segments. Optional: Sprinkle the top of the potato salad with some sweet paprika. This is more of an decorative touch.
- Cover the bowl and chill the salad for at least 2 hours before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad