Author Notes: A vegetarian version of the ultimate bar snack. —theboredvegetarian
Package Gimme Lean Ground “Sausage”
quart Vegetable Oil (for frying)
tablespoon Fresh Thyme, chopped
tablespoons Fresh Sage, chopped
cup All-Purpose Flour
Salt & Pepper to taste
Whole Grain Mustard for Dipping
In This Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and begin to heat oil in a deep-fryer to 375 degrees.
- Place four eggs in a sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat, letting the eggs sit for about 10 minutes. Drain water and allow eggs to cool. Peel shell and set eggs aside.
- Remove “sausage” from wrapper and place in bowl. Using you hands, mix in fresh herbs, salt & pepper to taste until well incorporated. Divide the mixture into four and flatten each piece with your hands into a circle - make it as thin as you can without breaking it. Wrap the mixture around each egg and roll until egg is covered evenly.
- In a bowl, whisk remaining eggs until light yellow. Moving quickly, roll each egg/”sausage” ball lightly in flour, dip in egg mixture and roll in breadcrumbs. Repeat egg and breadcrumbs step again and set ball aside. Repeat for remaining eggs.
- Deep fry two at a time, carefully turning until browned evenly. Remove from oil an drain on a paper towel. Place on a baking sheet and put into the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly.
- Serve with mustard on the side.