- Serves 12-14
I have an old set of nested pyrex pie dishes from my Grandmother; the larger one - the rim diameter is 11" - is the one I use when I make pie. This recipe can be used for a standard 9" pie dish by reducing the amounts by one third.
See last step for an even larger variation that can be made in a 9x13 rectangular pan. —Sadassa_Ulna
(3 pints) fresh, picked over & washed blueberries
x favorite recipe for Double-Crust Pie
- In a large saucepan mix 1 cup of blueberries with the sugar. Set over low heat and stir and mash berries a little; mixture will start to become a liquid. Cook over low heat, stir occasionally until mixture begins to bubble; turn off heat.
- In a small bowl mix the water, lemon juice and cornstarch; whisk until cornstarch is dissolved. Add some of the berries to the small bowl and stir to incorporate. Add entire contents of small bowl back to saucepan.
- Mix thoroughly and set over low heat, mixing constantly with whisk. Cook until mixture is thick and shiny. Remove from heat and add zest and butter; stir to incorporate.
- Set oven to 425 degrees F.
- Divide dough into two portions, one slightly larger than the other. Roll out the larger piece and line the pie plate.
- Add remaining blueberries to saucepan and stir gently into mixture. Pour contents of saucepan into prepared pie plate.
- Roll out top crust and seal over pie; cut vents for steam.
- Put pie in oven and reduce temperature to 375 degrees F. Bake 50 - 60 minutes until top is golden. Cover perimeter with foil if desired to prevent edges from turning too dark.
- Pie can be glazed 5 minutes before end of bake time with the following mixture: mix 2 Tbsp. sugar with 2 Tbsp. water in a mug and microwave until hot, about 45 seconds. Use a pastry brush to brush glaze onto hot pie and pop back in oven for last 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before cutting. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
- For an even larger pie, I have done this, using another pint of blueberries, a smidge more lemon juice, and a crumb topping : Make filling as above using a total of four pints of blueberries and 2 Tbsp. lemon juice but no other changes. Roll out all of pie dough to line a 9x13 baking pan. Make a walnut-crumb topping: 1/2 c. AP flour + 1-1/2 Tbsp. sugar + 1/2 c. toasted walnut halves + 3 Tbsp. butter > pulse in food processor until walnuts are very small. Sprinkle over mix and bake with foil over edges for first 20 minutes.