Author Notes: I am on what can only be referred to as the 'wedding dress diet'. It's the diet that deletes all the good foods; like butter and mayonnaise and ice cream all for the sake of a dress. It baffles me too but I am committed. So for one last hurrah I revved up the ice cream maker to make something for Jim. He loves bananas. As usual, my ice cream base is an adaptation from Ad Hoc at Home. —Summer of Eggplant
ripe bananas, sliced lengthwise, and again, in half
cup semi-sweet dark chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli)
- Heat the oven to 400. Place the sliced bananas face down on a Silpat lined baking sheet. Roast for about 10 minutes until they are slightly browned and the natural sugar has released and become crispy at the edges. Remove and set aside to cool. Squeeze lemon juice and mush up the bananas and mix lemon in well. Refrigerate if needed for use the next day.
- Combine the milk and the cream and 1/2 of the sugar and bring to a boil. Meanwhile whisk together the egg yolks and the remaining sugar until thick.
- Temper the eggs with 1/3 the hot milk mixture, whisking until combined. Return the mixture to the milk mixture and continue to heat while stirring until it can coat the back of a wooden spoon, add in vanilla.
- Remove from the heat and strain the mixture in to a bowl over an ice bath. Let cool and store in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
- Add custard and bananas to ice cream maker and precess per the ice cream machine's directions. A few minutes prior to finishing add in the chocolate chips and process until evenly distributed.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Bananas or Plantains