If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This jalepeno infused ice cream with a sweet, roasted peach swirl is sure to make your tastebuds dance. Light on the spice, but intense on flavor, this savory and sweet treat is sure to please.
This recipe was inspired by my move from Ohio, where I visited Jeni's shops multiple times per week, to Arizona, the home of hot weather and hot food. When I recieved my Jeni's cookbook, I not only began making the classic flavors, quart by quart, but I designed my own Southwestern-style recipe. —Sophia Galloway
Makes one quart
Roasted Peach Sauce
- 2 cups fresh yellow peaches, peeled and sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine the peaches, sugar, and cornstarch in a 9-inch square baking dish, tossing to mix. Roast for 30 minutes until juices are thicked and bubbly, stirring after 15 minutes. Let cool and puree in food processor until smooth. Then chill in the refrigerator.
Ice Cream Base
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 and 1/2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 and 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 medium jalepeno peppers, halved and seeds removed
- PREP: Mix about 2 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl to make a smooth slurry. Whisk the cream cheese and salt in a medium bowl until smooth. Fill a large bowl with ice and water.
- COOK: Combine the remaining milk, the cream, sugar, corn syrup, and jalepeno halves in a 4-quart saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat and boil for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in the cornstarch slurry. Bring the mixture back to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring with a heatproof spatula, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- CHILL: Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese mixture until smooth. Pour the mixture into a 1-gallon Ziploc freezer bag and submerge the sealed bag in the ice bath. Let stand, adding more ice as necessary, until cold, about 30 minutes.
- FREEZE: Remove jalepeno halves, pour the ice cream base into the frozen canister, and spin until creamy. Pack the ice cream into a storage container, alternating it with layers of the roasted peach sauce and ending with a spoonful of sauce; do not mix. Press a sheet or parchment directly against the surface, and seal with an airtight lid. Freeze in the coldest part of your freezer until firm, at least 4 hours.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream