- Makes 1.5 L
This recipe (including photos) was recently published on my blog www.52scoops.com. Making a black forest cake from scratch is quite the undertaking. Chocolate shortcrust pastry. Chocolate sponge cake. Cherry filling. Freshly whipped cream. Shaved chocolate curls. But black forest ice cream is a cinch! This recipe takes about 20 minutes of prep time. If you love chocolate and cherries as much as I do, you must try this recipe! Want the full story? Details at http://52scoops.com/2012/08/09/black-forest-ice-cream-22/ —52scoops
- Ultra Decadent Chocolate Ice Cream
Dutch processed cocoa powder
- Boozy Cherry Compote
fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- Being with the ice cream. In a heavy saucepan, combine the cocoa powder and sugar.
- Whisk in the eggs.
- Very slowly, whisk in 2 3/4 cups of the half-and-half. It should start off like a chocolate paste, then end up like thick chocolate syrup.
- Cook the mixture over medium-low heat stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon (170 degrees F / 77 degrees C).
- Remove from heat immediately and add the remaining 1 cup of the half-and-half to stop the cooking. Place the saucepan into an ice bath to cool the custard rapidly.
- Stir in the kirsch.
- Chill overnight in the fridge.
- While the ice cream is chilling, prepare the cherry compote. Combine the cherries, sugar, and water in a non-reactive saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the cherries soften. This should take about 7 minutes.
- Mix the kirsch and cornstarch in a small bowl to create a slurry. Add to the cherries. Cook for another minute, until the compote thickens slightly.
- Cool and chill overnight in the fridge. Don’t worry, the compote will thicken up.
- To finish, pour the custard into an ice cream maker and prepare according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Spread a quarter of the ice cream into a chilled dish. Spoon 1/3 of the compote in random dollops onto the ice cream. Repeat another two times (3 layers of ice cream, 3 layers of compote). Top with the remaining quarter of the ice cream.
- Chill thoroughly in the freezer until firm.
- Garnish with shaved chocolate, if desired.