If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: While this ice cream is a deep red, the beet flavor is subtle--most people won't notice it unless it's pointed out. However, along with the buttermilk, they add a subtle, almost fruity counterpoint to the cocoa and vanilla that makes the ice cream especially appealing. They’re also much preferable in my mind to the bottle of food coloring typically used to color a red velvet cake. This recipe was partially inspired by the recipe at http://www.yumsugar.com.... I previously posted this recipe at http://heightseats.com... —Heights Eats
Makes: 1 quart
cup pureed cooked beets (boiled in water just to cover or roasted)
cups whole milk
ounces cream cheese
teaspoon fine sea salt
cups heavy cream
tablespoons light corn syrup
tablespoons cocoa powder
- Combine 2 TB whole milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix together cream cheese and salt in a metal bowl.
- Heat cream, remaining milk, sugar, corn syrup and cocoa powder until boiling. Boil for four minutes
- Remove from heat and add cornstarch mixture. Return to the boil for one minute, until thickened slightly.
- Gradually add cooked mixture to bowl with cream cheese and whisk until combined.
- Mix in beets, buttermilk, vanilla and vinegar.
- Chill and churn in ice cream maker.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
More Great Recipes:
Ice Cream/Frozen Desserts