If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For a harvest dinner, Chef Joe Wolfson of our Terrain Garden Cafe in Westport, CT, likes to start the meal with fresh greens and a little zest. —Terrain
- 1 cup Walnuts
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
- Pinch Salt
- Sauté all ingredients over medium-low heat until the sugar melts and then caramelizes, making sure to stir the walnuts as you go to keep from burning. Set aside.
Sherry Vinaigrette & Salad
- 1/2 cup Slab bacon cut in to lardons
- 1/4 cup Sherry vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon Whole grain mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- To taste Salt and pepper
- 10 Large heads Frisee lettuce with very little greens
- 3 Asian pears
- Candied walnuts
- For the vinaigrette: Render the bacon until crispy, remove bacon from fat and reserve for later. To make the vinaigrette, add vinegar, honey, thyme, mustard, and lemon juice to a mixing bowl. Whisk together, slowly adding the bacon fat and olive oil until well incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the salad: Remove all bitter green parts from the Frisee. Julienne the pears and toss them with lettuce, bacon, and enough of the dressing to coat. Garnish with the candied walnuts and serve.