i first had this dish in empoli outside of florence. the chef would not give me the recipe so over the years i have developed my own version. —jamie215
blood oranges- or naval oranges
spaghetti or linguine
large ripe tomatoes
extra virgin olive oil
large shrimp- peeled and deveined - cut into bite size pieces
crushed red pepper
to taste- and in pasta water
In This Recipe
1.boil water -- 2 qts- for pasta
2. slice garlic and sautee in olive oil and add crushed red pepper- set aside
3. sautee onions in same oil as garlic- add more oil if necessary- do not brown,
4. just sautee until soft and translucent.
5. slice tomaotes in half and then grate open side on box grater- throw out skins- and add the tomato pupl to the onions.
6. add garlic back into sauce
7. add salt to taste- and black pepper to taste
8. in a separate pan, sautee shrimp until opaque- add to tomato sauce
9. sqeeze juice of one orange into sauce
10. slice rmaining oranges into thin slices - rind and all-
11. add half of these slices to sauce and cook for five to ten minutes- until the orange melts into suce and the rind is soft
12. when water boils- add pasta and salt- one to two teaspoons
13. when pasta is done- like 12 minutes- drain and add to sauce
14. toss in sauce - coating pasta with sauce
14. add basil and more crushed red pper to taste- salt and black pepper
15. add two tablespoons pasta water.
16. sppon into individual bowls- and add orange slices - a tsp of olive oil and more basil. serve at once. NO cheese.