If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: i first had this dish in empoli outside of florence. the chef would not give me the recipe so over the years i have developed my own version. —jamie215
- 4 blood oranges- or naval oranges
- 1 box spaghetti or linguine
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 8 large shrimp- peeled and deveined - cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup basil- chiffonade
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- salt to taste- and in pasta water
- 1.boil water -- 2 qts- for pasta 2. slice garlic and sautee in olive oil and add crushed red pepper- set aside 3. sautee onions in same oil as garlic- add more oil if necessary- do not brown, 4. just sautee until soft and translucent. 5. slice tomaotes in half and then grate open side on box grater- throw out skins- and add the tomato pupl to the onions. 6. add garlic back into sauce 7. add salt to taste- and black pepper to taste 8. in a separate pan, sautee shrimp until opaque- add to tomato sauce
- 9. sqeeze juice of one orange into sauce 10. slice rmaining oranges into thin slices - rind and all- 11. add half of these slices to sauce and cook for five to ten minutes- until the orange melts into suce and the rind is soft 12. when water boils- add pasta and salt- one to two teaspoons 13. when pasta is done- like 12 minutes- drain and add to sauce 14. toss in sauce - coating pasta with sauce 14. add basil and more crushed red pper to taste- salt and black pepper 15. add two tablespoons pasta water. 16. sppon into individual bowls- and add orange slices - a tsp of olive oil and more basil. serve at once. NO cheese.