If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is the way my grandmother, aunts and mother made/make lentil soup...Italian style. You can't get it any easier or tastier! —Christina @ Christina's Cucina
- 8 cups water
- 1 pound brown or green lentils
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 or 3 celery stalks, chopped (including leaves)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup tomato puree (or fresh tomatoes, stewed and pureed)
- 2 teaspoons Better than Bouillion Reduced Sodium Chicken (flavor)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Place the lentils in a large pot, and rinse several times, checking for foreign objects.
- 2. Add the rest ofl the ingredients, adding about 1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt to start. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are done (about 30 mins) adding more water if necessary. Taste for salt, and add pepper.
- Serve hot, with crusty bread.