If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a simple and delicious drink to serve at your next dinner party or holiday table. It’s tart, tangy and sweet from the cranberries, ginger, and citrus, with a lovely, unexpected herbal note from fresh rosemary. While it’s a special non-alcoholic drink, by all means add cava instead of sparkling water if that’s the way you roll. —EmilyC
Makes 2 cups of cranberry-rosemary syrup
- 1 orange
- 1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup thinly sliced ginger
- 2 leafy rosemary sprigs, each about 7 to 8 inches long
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 cup water
- Freshly squeezed lime or orange juice, for finishing
- Sparkling water (or cava), for finishing
- Frozen cranberries for garnish (optional)
- To get started: Remove rind from orange in long strips using a sharp vegetable peeler, taking care to avoid white pith. Juice the orange. You should have about ½ cup of juice.
- To make syrup: Combine orange rind, juice, cranberries, ginger, rosemary, raw sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to dissolve the sugar. Lower heat and maintain a gentle simmer for about 10 minutes; you want the cranberries to pop and release their juice. Take off heat and let cool to room temperature; leave rosemary sprigs in so they'll impart more flavor. Strain the syrup through a fine-mesh strainer, pressing down and scraping back and forth with a spatula to extract as much of the juice as possible. Discard solids. Store in a tightly-sealed glass jar or measuring cup in the refrigerator for one week.
- To make soda: Combine 3 parts syrup with 1 part lime (or orange) juice. Add sparkling water or cava until you get the dilution you prefer. Frozen cranberries make a nice garnish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Family's Best Thanksgiving Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cocktail