If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I live in Butte, MT -- where people say you're Irish even if you're not Irish -- and where St. Patrick's Day is a big event. This is based on an old Butte recipe for the holiday. —louisez
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 7 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 6 cups finely chopped peanuts, to coat
- Cream yolks and sugar till pale yellow. Add half of the boiling water and the flour and the baking powder. Add remaining boiling water and vanilla and beat. Beat whites till stiff and fold in. Pour into a 9x13 pan lined with parchment and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 min. or till done. Cool in pan on rack.
- Prepare icing: Cream butter. Add sugar, vanilla, and milk and beat till fluffy.
- To assemble: When cake is cool, cut into 24 pieces. Ice each piece on all sides and coat on all sides with finely chopped peanuts. To store, keep in refrigerator (though can bring to room temperature to serve).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla
More Great Recipes: