Author Notes: Inspired by Joanne Chang's recipe for Brown Butter Rice Krispies Treats, I substituted the rice cereal with popcorn. I really loved how the vanilla bean and browned butter brought the marshmallows and popcorn to a-whole-nother level. If you like kettle corn and Rice Krispies Treats, you'll definitely love this treat! —Joy Huang | The Cooking of Joy
cup unsalted butter
ounces mini marshmallows
teaspoon kosher salt
cups popped popcorn (unpopped kernels removed)
- In a large pot, melt the butter on low heat.
- Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds. Add to the melted butter. Continue to cook the butter on low until the milk solids start to brown.
- Remove from heat, add the salt and mini marshmallows and stir to combine. Return the pot to low heat and stir to completely melt the marshmallows.
- Once the marshmallows have completely melted, add the popcorn and stir to combine.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper and spray with baking spray. Pour the popcorn into the dish and allow to cool.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Brown Butter
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla