If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Everyone is always looking for a healthier way to enjoy desserts, therefore I am trying to build up an amazing list of refined sugar free and gluten free (and sometimes even fat free) desserts. I love, love, love lemon desserts, and wanted to attempt something super lemony, so Lemon Meringue Pie was the answer! Just as a side note I really enjoyed the lemon tart and think it would be just amazing on it's own. So if you feel a bit intimidated or simply not in the mood for the meringue, I think the lemon tart on it's own is a real winner too (but the meringue adds that extra wonderfulness...). So here it comes... If you are a lemon lover this will be a true hit that is sure to please!!
- 1 1/4 cups Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 1/3 cup Cold Butter (or butter substitute)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon xylitol (or sugar, if your not going sugar free)
Pie Filling and Meringue...
- 2 tablespoons Cornflour
- 2 tablespoons Agave Nectar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon Xylitol (or confectioners sugar)
- 2 Large lemons, zest
- 1/2 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Medium Orange, Fresh Juice
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Cold butter
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 Whole Egg
- 4 Egg Whites (left over from filling and crust)
- 1/2 cup Xylitol (or 3/4 cup sugar)
- 2 teaspoons Corn Flour
- Start by making the pastry. Place all your pastry ingredients into a food processor ( remember to save the egg white from your egg for the meringue) and blend until the ingredients are all binded together. If your mixture looks too dry, add 1 tsp of water at a time. If the mixture is too wet, add small sprinklings of flour until it reaches the right consistency of a firm dough ball. Form the pastry into your pie dish and place in the fridge for at least 45 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F, place your pie crust covered with aluminum foil into the oven for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven. While this is baking you can get started on your pie filling!
- Heat your Agave, xylitol, lemon zest and corn flour in a pot. Gradually pour in your fresh squeezed and drained lemon juice, water and fresh orange juice. Stir regularly, once the mixture begins to boil, remove from heat and mix in your butter until it is melted.
- Beat together the egg yolks and whole egg (keep the egg whites for the meringue), and mix into the citrus mixture. Place back on low heat and mix until the mixture blobs off the spoon. Remove from heat and it's meringue time!!
- Beat your egg whites, slowly adding your cornflour and xylitol intermittently. Beat until thick and smooth (should take about 12-15 minutes if you are beating by hand, or about 5-7 minutes with an electric beater).
- Reheat your pie filling mixture and pour into the crust. Place the meringue mixture on top of the pie, start along the edges first and build inward (so it doesn't collapse). Place in the oven for approximately 20 minutes until the meringue is golden and crisp. Once the pie is done, set aside for 1 hour before slicing! Love it and Eat it!