Author Notes: Adapted from Heidi Swanson’s recipe for Cottage Cheese Muffins at 101cookbooks.com. Not a fan of ham? Make them with chicken or turkey instead. Or follow Heidi’s lead and skip the meat in favor of sun-dried tomatoes. These super-moist, savory muffins have a texture somewhere between a sponge cake and a quiche. They’re delicious piping hot fresh from the oven. They also freeze well. Make a batch; eat a few now and freeze some for later. They make the perfect breakfast for families on the go. —Bob Vivant
Makes: 12 muffins
cup white whole wheat flour (or your favorite gluten-free multi-purpose flour)
teaspoons baking powder
cup plain cottage cheese
ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
cup almond meal or finely ground almonds
cup ham, diced (about 1/2 cup)
tablespoons minced fresh chives, plus more for finishing
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line it with paper baking cups.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in the flour.
- Evenly divide the batter among the muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Scatter a few chives on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and firm to touch. Serve hot or at room temperature