If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Shahi Tukra is a famous dish found in Hyderabad city in India , in the south. Shahi means Royal and tukda means piece. It is a famous dessert from mughlai cuisine. This dish is Indian version of bread pudding. —PistachioDoughnut
Serves 2 to 3
- 4 pieces of bread cut in triangle
- 4 1/4 cups Milk
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- pinches Saffron
- Few drops Rose water
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Nuts of your choice
- ghee or oil for frying
- Boil milk till it had reduced almost in quantity and consistency. It should be nice and thick like condensed milk. When you start seeing the milk as thick consistency then add the saffron, rose water and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- On the other side, heat some oil in a deep frying pan. Cut the bread into triangles (remove the edges). And, deep fry it till golden in color and crispy. Leave it aside for a while.
- On the other hand, take sugar with equal parts water or a little less and make a sugar syrup in medium thick consistency, boiling stage. Once it is done , dip the bread slices in to it and arrange them in a nice oval platter which is little bit deep but not necessarily deep. Arrange the bread pieces like a christmas tree by overlapping the triangles in one particular design.
- Once you have arranged these , pour the milk mixture like sauce and try to cover as much as possible but in a nice presentable form. Garnish it with nuts of your choice and some fresh fruits. usually hyderbadi cuisine uses apricot , so you can also prepare an apricot compote and top it off with it.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Stale Bread
More Great Recipes: