If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This healthful pumpkin pie recipe maintains the signature traits of Thanksgiving’s beloved dessert—subtly spiced pumpkin, velvety smooth filling—while nipping saturated fat in the bud. What’s the secret? Tofu, front and center…and I’m not talking about the turkey!
The pumpkin-tofu coupling also packs a serious nutritional punch. Both ingredients are low in fat and calories, plus tofu boasts high protein and iron; pumpkin, vitamin A and fiber. Be careful that your prepared crust doesn’t compromise the pie’s healthfulness though—most contain palm oil, which can cost you a quarter of your daily-recommended fat intake in one slice. To avoid this, I used a palm-oil free graham-cracker crust. —KvellintheKitchen
Makes 2 pies
- 10 ounces silken tofu, blended until smooth
- 16 ounces homemade* or canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 unbaked pie shells
- Optional toppings: whipped cream, chopped crystallized ginger
- *To roast a sugar pumpkin, (I recommend roasting 2 at a time at around 2 lbs each, which should yield about 4 cups of puree) preheat the oven to 350 degrees. With a sharp knife, cut off the stem of each pumpkin, and then slice in half, right down the middle. With a spoon, scoop out the seeds and pulpy flesh. Place halves cut side down on a baking sheet lined with tin foil or parchment paper. Roast for 45-50 minutes, until a fork pokes easily through the skin. Let pumpkin cool for 10 minutes, and then peel off the skin. “Puree” by mashing with a fork, until desired consistency is reached.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together pumpkin and sugar. Add vanilla, salt, spices, and tofu, and mix thoroughly. Pour filling into the pie shells, distributing evenly between them.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees, and bake for 45 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and let pie cool. Serve with whipped cream and sprinkle with crystalized ginger, if desired.