If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am all about strattas, frittatas, and breakfast casseroles, especially around holidays when the house is full of folks. Eggs, herbs, veggies, and cheese with yummy bacon or sausage, who wouldn't get out of bed for that? This savory bread pudding is a variation of a recipe I came across several years ago. The original recipe source has left my 59 year old memory bank and I've made changes in the meat, the veggies, and the cheeses to suit my fun-but-not-fancy-family. I hope you all enjoy. —Kathcooks
tablespoon olive oil
ounces mild ground Italian sausage
cup finely chopped onions
ounces sliced Portabella mushrooms
cup low sodium chicken broth
cups whole milk
cup heavy whipping cream
cups stale French bread cut in 1" cubes
large eggs, beaten
ounces sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
ounces Monterey Jack cheese, freshly grated
ounces Parmesan cheese, freshly grated and divided
teaspoon kosher salt
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
cups sour cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. .
- Butter a 9 X 13" glass baking dish and set aside.
- Mix sour cream and 1/2 of grated Parmesan cheese together in small bowl and set aside.
- Place bread cubes in large mixing bowl. Pour milk and whipping cream over bread and toss gently. Allow bread to sit for 10 minutes to absorb liquid.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add sausage to skillet. Cook, breaking up with a spatula, until thoroughly browned.
- Remove sausage from skillet, using slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of sausage drippings left in bottom of skillet.
- Add onions and saute, stirring occasionally until soft, 2-3 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and mushroom liquid has evaporated, about 5 more minutes.
- Stir chicken broth into skillet and cook for additional 1 minute.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Add sausage and onion-mushroom mixture to bread, stirring gently to combine.
- Add cheddar, Monterey Jack and remaining parmesan cheese to bread mixture, followed by beaten eggs and salt and pepper. Fold in ingredients until well combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove foil, increase oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for additional 20 minutes.
- Spread reserved sour cream and parmesan mixture over top of casserole and bake for additional 15 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to set for 15 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Stale Bread