If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Pomegranate seeds are the sprinkles of the fruit world and I enjoy bedazzling my food – especially around the holidays. Want to liven up that fruit tart? Is your pork loin looking a bit drab? Give all of your dishes a festive pop of pomegranate. In this traditional biscotti recipe, I substitute the typical anise and almonds for toasted hazelnuts, lemon zest and, of course, pomegranate seeds. Not only does the pomegranate provide a pleasing tartness, but it gives the cookie an instant holiday look.
Advice to avoid pink fingers and countertops - Cut the pomegranate in half and scoop out its seeds while it is submerged under water. Not only will this be much neater, but the seeds sink to the bottom of the water, while all of the bitter pulp and debris floats to the top to be easily removed.
Makes 2 dozen
cups Granulated Sugar
cups All-Purpose Flour
teaspoon Baking Powder
cup Pomegranate Seeds, rinsed and drained
tablespoons Lemon zest
- Preheat the over to 325 degrees F.
- Using a standing mixer, whip the eggs and sugar together on medium speed. They will become very light, fluffy and ribbon-y. It takes about five minutes to get the egg mixture this airy.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all of the other ingredients - Flour, baking soda, salt, lemon zest, hazelnuts and pomegranates. One these are mixed, add them all at once to the egg mixture and stir until combined.
- Using your hands, empt the mixture onto a baking sheet and form a log by hand. The recipe should form one long, about the length of a standard cookie sheet. If you wet your hands with water, the biscotti will be much easier to form. Be careful not to get the biscotti too wet, as it will cause undesired spreading.
- Bake the log for about an hour, or until it is firm to the touch.
- Let the log cool and then transfer it to a cutting board. Slice the biscotti log into quarter inch slices. Line the slices on the baking sheet, flat-side up, and return to the oven for another 15-20 minutes, or until the cookies are golden
- Remove from the oven when the cookies are firm and golden, allow them to cool thoroughly, eat and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pomegranates