Everyone who tastes these easy-to-make latkes agrees they are the best! —dehill
- Makes enough to serve however many people you need to feed!
large russet/baking potato, peeled and cut into chunks
white or yellow onion
freshly ground black pepper
canola or peanut oil for frying latkes
In This Recipe
- Pour 1/4 inch of oil into large frying pan and heat on medium heat. (Do NOT use olive oil for frying latkes.)
- Put eggs, potato, and onion into blender and process on "grate" or "blend" until everything is liquefied and well-mixed.
- Pour into large measuring cup or bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. (If not using potato starch, or if mixture seems too loose, add an extra spoonful of matzo meal.) Consistency should be like oatmeal, not too thick and not too watery.
- Using a large spoon or 1/4 C. measure pour batter into hot oil to make small 3"-4" pancakes. Cook until golden brown then flip over and continue cooking until both sides are evenly brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with applesauce, sour cream, or thick yogurt. Recipe can be doubled or, for larger crowds, make additional batches so that potato mixture doesn't separate or turn brown.