Author Notes: This is my go-to pasta, makes me feel happy and healthy and so good immediately or day after. I love anchovies always but pairing them with whole wheat pasta (normally my nemesis) gives the whole meal a meaty-heartiness, they really complement each other. —Laura Coxson
Serves 3 or 2 hungry
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 6 Italian anchovies (the little nice ones in fancy jars are fine)
- 1 bunch Italian leaf parsley (or other parsley fine)
- 1 red onion
- 2 pieces cloves garlic sliced
- 1 pinch hot red pepper flakes
- Put salted water on to boil in large pot.
- Once water has boiled and you've just added box of pasta, heat a skillet with olive oil and sprinkle red pepper flakes (optional but I think essential), add sliced red onions and cook until slightly carmelized.
- Once onions have cooked (about 5 minutes) add garlic and some parsley chopped and all anchovies. The anchovies will break apart which is fine, let everything continue to cook together until pasta is ready, on low-ish heat.
- drain pasta retaining a bit of the water. Place pasta in saucepan with sauce and mix well, add salt and pepper to taste and a spoonful of pasta water if needed. Add big bunch of chopped parsley at very end. Heaven awaits!