If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After submitting my recipe for fennel orange breadsticks, which only uses half a cup of beer, I remembered what I do to use the rest of the beer in the bottle (I'm not a beer drinker. Those who are otherwise inclined could just drink it, I suppose, but I think this soup is better). —louisez
large onion, diced
pounds broccoli, stalks peeled and sliced, florets broken up
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
quarts vegetable broth
cups half and half
cups grated sharp cheddar
crushed red pepper
- Melt butter in soup pot. Add onion and saute till translucent. Add beer and cook 15 min.
- Add broccoli, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and crushed red pepper. Pour stock in and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer till broccoli is cooked.
- Remove from heat and puree with immersion blender (or puree in batches in food processor). Add half-and-half. Return to heat and bring to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes. Stir in cheese. Cook till cheese is melted.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beer
More Great Recipes: