Author Notes: Getting crazy with ginger & using only two ingredients! Candied ginger & ginger syrup. —whatever's left
pounds fresh ginger root
milliliters ginger water
In This Recipe
- Wash & peel the ginger, then dice it into 5mm cubes.
- Place the ginger in a pot & top with water, bring to a boil & allow it to cook for 30 to 45 minutes or until the ginger is tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat & strain the ginger. Keep the liquid & set it aside to use for the ginger syrup later.
- Place the ginger cubes back into the pot along with 0.88lbs of sugar & 135ml of water, bring to a boil & cook until the ginger becomes translucent. Once that happens, turn the heat down to low & continue to cook until all the water has evaporated. Make sure to stir constantly throughout the process.
- To make the ginger syrup, take two cups (500ml) of the ginger water that has been reserved & place it in a pot with 1lbs of sugar. Bring to a boil & allow it to cook for 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Remove it from the heat & allow it to cool before transferring to a bottle for storing. Both the ginger candy & ginger syrup will keep for several months.