Author Notes: The French have some of the most delicious food in the world, albeit some of the most unhealthy too. Take any food, drown it in butter or cream and hey presto! you’ve got yourself French food. So why wouldn’t a French inspired Italian pasta be delicious? It would, so here it is.
Note: These veggies aren't specific- we just used some personal favourites. You can go with spinach, broccoli, peas- no veggies at all if you'd like. Mix it up, and get creative! —boymeetsgirlmeetsfood
ounces dijon mustard
large white onion, chopped
cloves garlic, minced
cup white wine
bunch kale, chopped
- Slice the chicken breasts into long, thin slices and mix them with half of the jar of mustard and plenty of cracked pepper. While the chicken is marinating, put a large pot of water on to boil, and heavily salt the water.
- Brown the chicken in a pan over high heat until almost cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, and set aside.
- Add a large slug of olive oil to the pan, along with the chopped onion and garlic. Cook the onion and garlic over medium heat until they are translucent. At this point the water should be boiled, so cook the pasta- an entire packet. If you're not a fan of orecchiette, no problem- use whatever pasta you prefer. (Note: once the pasta is cooked, reserve the water! You'll be using it later)
- Once the onion and garlic have been cooked, turn the heat up to high and deglaze the pan with a glass of white wine. Cook down the wine, to about a quarter of its original volume.
- Next, add the chicken and cream- about 3/4 of a cup, maybe a little more or less; whatever gets the sauce to a nice, creamy consistency. Also throw in a handful of chopped parsley and the kale.
- About now, the pasta should be two minutes away from being cooked. Throw the chopped broccolini into the pasta water so it cooks.
- Drain the water from the pasta and broccolini, and add the cream sauce to the pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, as well as some extra dijon (we threw in 2 tablespoons more).
- Plate the pasta, and serve it with a drizzle of EVOO and some grated Parmesan. Serve immediately.