- Makes 2 "personal" sized pizzas, or 1 large
This pizza is flammkuchen with a bit of a twist. It's what I'm hoping will materialize in front of me as I drink cold coffee and procrastinate writing an essay that badly needs to be written today, not tomorrow, but today. You can use whatever pizza dough you like; I usually buy mine from the local pizza parlor. Feel free to play around with the cheese, lemon zest, and red pepper flake quantities, according to your personal tastes. —Cristina Sciarra
1/3 pound of bacon
2 medium leeks
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/2 cup crème fraîche
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat the oven to 500F. If you have a pizza stone, move it to the oven a full hour before cooking, to heat up. If you are using a baking sheet, move it to the oven 30 minutes before cooking. Either way, you want to cook the pizza at the base of the oven.
- Stack up your bacon, and cut it into lardons (or little matchsticks). Heat a wide pan (cast iron, if you’ve got one) over medium heat. When it’s warm, add the bacon. Cook the lardons until they are half-way to crispy, about 5 minutes. (The bacon will cook more in the oven, so don’t overdo it on the stovetop.) Move the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Quarter and clean the leeks. Slice the white/light green parts thinly. Once the bacon is out of the pan, you can add the leeks to it; the bacon fat will serve as a lovely lubricant. Cook the leeks until translucent, 5-10 minutes. Stir in a pinch of salt, and the lemon juice.
- Finely grate the cheese, and zest the lemon.
- It's time to build the pizza: spread on the crème fraîche. Next, evenly scatter the lardons and leeks over the face of the pizza. Distribute the grated cheese, the lemon zest, and the red pepper flakes.
- Just before moving the pizza to the oven, crack on the egg(s). (1 egg per personal pizza, or up to 3 eggs on a large.)
- Cook the pizza for 3-5 minutes, or until it’s bubbling and the crust is just past golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and serve right away, very hot.