If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There are thousands of recipes for Classic Chicken Curry. Arvinda's is nicely balanced with a hint of warmth from a garnish of garam masala. A classic chicken curry chicken preparation requires water (never stock, because the flavor comes from good quality spices!). However, this recipe can be easily manipulated into something a bit more decadent by substituting either light cream or coconut milk for the water. Try both which are equally enjoyable and delicious. Flavoring tip: Add 2 tbsp. Arvinda's Curry Masala for a hotter curry; 1 tbsp. for milder curry. —Preena
- 1 pound chicken breasts or thighs (boneless or bone-in), cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 each, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, black peppercorns, cloves and star anise
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted crushed or ground tomatoes, canned
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Arvinda's Curry Masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped, to garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon Arvinda's Garam Masala, to garnish (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- In a large pan, heat oil on medium-high. Add cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, black peppercorns, cloves and star anise. Gently fry for one minute. Add onions and caramelize until golden brown, approximately 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, stir and cook for a minute. Add Arvinda’s Curry Masala, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes until masala paste is thick.
- Add chicken pieces and coat with masala paste. Cover with lid and cook chicken on low heat for 10-15 minutes. Add water and stir in salt to taste. Simmer until chicken is cooked.
- Serve with cilantro and a sprinkle of Arvinda’s Garam Masala and nutmeg. Serve with basmati rice, Indian flatbread and a salad.