Author Notes: Hearty, dense and satisfying quickbread with a warm autumnal spice. Fab served warm still, and makes sturdy toasted bread to serve with citrus curd or hazelnut butter. —janet.antene
cups 1.5 Wheat Flour
cups 1.5 Cups All Purpose Flour
cups Tightly packed Brown Sugar (I used dark)
teaspoons Baking Powder
ounces 1 Bottle (12 oz.) Cider or Beer
tablespoons 2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
tablespoons Butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 375 Grease 8x4 in. loaf pan.
- Mix all the flours, salt, baking powder, *cinnamon, raisins and sugars together. Dried Cranberries or Cherries can be used as a substitute for raisins.
- Add cider and stir until blended, spoon the batter into the prepped loaf pan.
- Brush the top of the loaf with melted butter.
- Bake 55 minutes, check doneness with wooden toothpick. Cool 5 minutes in pan, transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Tastes great served warm, seal in airtight container.
- *Cinnamon, raisins, and white sugar can be omitted to render a lighter, less dense bread.