Author Notes: I love the combination of pear, goat cheese and ricotta —MarieGlobetrotter
Makes: 4 pears
cup caster sugar
cup mixed walnuts or hazelnuts
tablespoons soft ricotta cheese
tablespoons soft goat cheese
teaspoons dried thyme
salt and pepper
- Pour the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Peel the pears, carefully take out the center with a peeler but do not remove the bottom of the pear. Plunge each pear in the saucepan. Lower the heat to a simmer. Cook one side of the pears for 5 min, then turn over and to cook the other side. To prevent the un-submerged sides of the pears to brown, you can cover the saucepan with wax paper. To check if the pears are cooked, prick the fruit with the tip of a knife. It should go through rather easily. Once the pears are cooked, let cool completely then place on a paper towel to remove the surplus of juice.
- While the pears cook, ground the walnuts with a knife (do not use a blender)
- In a bowl, whisk together, ricotta, goat cheese, honey, 1-2 tsp of ground walnuts and thyme leaves. Season to taste.
- With a small spoon, fill the inside of each pear with the cheese spread
- Roll the pears in the ground walnuts. Option: you can bake the pears for a few minutes in the oven but make sure the nuts don't burn
- Serve with a small side salad. Slice the pear in two and enjoy!