Author Notes: Gheimeh is a Persian Stew that is usually served at large gatherings, It's made with ground meat, I use beef, yellow split peas and potato and it is served over rice. To serve 6 people generously you only need 1 lb of ground meat you are basically stretching the meat by adding the split pea's and potato. It's very filling and when served with rice you have a hearty meal that costs very little to make. It is gently spiced with a little cinnamon and if you happen to have in your pantry some sumac. —sdebrango
Serves: 4-6 (depends on serving size)
pound lean ground beef or lamb
ounces tomato paste or approx 3/4 of a 6 oz can
teaspoon or a pinch of cinnamon
3 1/2 - 4
cup yellow split peas, washed and sorted
cup lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
sprinkle of sumac (Optional)
medium size potatoes peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 425, spread potatoes on parchment lined sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for approximately 30-45 minutes stirring frequently so that potatoes are browned on all sides. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In small saucepan bring some water to a boil, add the split peas and boil for 15 minutes, you are par cooking them so they will soften a little..Drain, rinse and set aside.
- In large deep skillet saute the onion in some olive oil until its translucent and soft, add the ground meat and turmeric and cook just until the meat is cooked and not red. Add the tomato paste, stir until its mixed with the meat and cook for a few minutes, to lightly caramelize the meat and tomatoe paste, add the water, split peas, cinnamon, salt and pepper and the lemon juice. Cover with lid slightly ajar and simmer for about 1 hour on medium heat the sauce will be thick and most of the liquid will have evaporated. Stir frequently and add more water if you see that too much of the liquid has evaporated. When the stew is done add the roasted potatoes, stir to combine and simmer for 5 minutes just to heat the potato through add the optional pinch of sumac . Serve immediately with rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Middle Eastern Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast