If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was planning to make a recipe from Katie Lee cookbook, The Comfort Table, Scallop Corn Chowder but was too lazy to go get fresh scallops. I went to Trader Joe's (love that place) and found a package of what is called Seafood Medley in the frozen section. I was not hopeful about the frozen seafood in the soup, but my hopes rose upon tasting it. It was truly good soup and the seafood mix perfect. I made a few other adjustments to the recipe as well. —kimbaddd
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 cup cooked ham or turkey ham, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt (if you don't have this just add additional salt)
- 1 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1 pound Seafood Medley Frozen Mix (at Trader Joe's), thawed and rinsed
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add onion, carrots and diced ham. Cook until onions are translucent and carrot is tender, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook about 2 minutes. Add the salts, chicken broth and 1 cup of corn. Stir, bring to a simmer.
- Mix the milk and cream together. Using a blender or immersion blender, combine the remaining corn and the milk/cream mixture. It may look frothy, that is ok. Blend for about 30 seconds in a blender, for about 1-2 minutes with the immersion blender. Add to soup. Let simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the seafood mix and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the calamari looks/tastes tender. If desired, the ham can be omitted. Or you can add more. :)