Fraser was our cocker spaniel and one Christmas, many years ago, before guests arrived, he snuck into the living room and ate 24 of these in one go! Thankfully he survived the ordeal, but remained very sick and wobbly for days afterward. I've been making these rum balls for at least 20 years, giving them as gifts to countless friends and family members. Most people ask for the recipe, but up until now I have never shared it. They are wonderfully delicious and do not have that mushy rum ball texture that turns some people off. —Carriewiththree
- Serves approx. 7 dozen
good quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
whole fat organic sour cream
vanilla wafers, finely crushed (one box equals 2 cups when crushed)
1 1/2 cups
melted organic butter, unsalted
good quality cocoa
1 1/2 cups
pecans, finely chopped
approx. 4 cups
chocolate shot or sprinkle
- Melt the chocolate chips and combine with the sour cream, almond paste and salt. Cream well and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl combine the wafers, icing sugar, melted butter, cocoa, white rum and pecans. Stir together until mixture holds its shape.
- Add the chocolate and sour cream mixture to the second bowl and knead with your hands until blended and soft.
- Refridgerate until firm enough to form small balls in the palm of your hand, yet soft enough to pick up the chocolate shot. I sometimes let this sit in fridge for a couple of days to let the flavors blend.
- When you are ready to roll pour the chocolate shot into a bowl. While the mixture is very firm, take a generous tablespoonful and form into balls. Roll in the shot until covered.
- Arrange the rum balls on wax paper lined trays and refrigerate overnight. The next day you can put into decorative tins and dishes and refrigerate until ready to transport.
- These keep well in refrigerator, but you should freeze them if you are keeping more than 3 weeks. Freezing will not affect their taste.
- I always give these out with the following instructions: Set out approx. 1 hour prior to serving so they warm up slightly for better taste. Do not let them sit out too long or they become too soft. Keep out of reach of children and pets!