This recipe, which evolved over many years has been my stand by for about 50 years!!
It is always loved by all. It is easy to prepare and very economical, served with simple
sides such as beans, cole slaw, assorted pickles and potato salad. Also, it is all pre-
pared a day ahead, allowing one to have a relaxing time with the guests. —zoe morris
- Makes filling for 2 1/2 dozen buns
Lean Beef Stew Meat
Yellow Onion, chopped
Garlic cloves, chopped
Horse Radish, prepared or fresh grated
24 - 30
Buns: Kaiser,Onion, Portuguese and/or hot dog
- Place Stewing Beef in a kettle or dutch oven.
- Add the Onion, Garlic, Beef Stock and enough water to cover the meat.
- Cover and simmer for about two hours or until the meat is very tender.
- Remove the meat from the broth and pull apart, shredding, with two forks.
- Strain the liquid and add water, if necessary, to make 3 1/2 cups.
- Place the meat, cabbage, ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, mustard, worchestershire sauce and salt back in the kettle.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the cookiing broth back to the kettle.
- Cover and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes.
- In the meantime, chill the rest of the liquid, then skim and discard the fat.
- Dissolve the corn starch in the remaining 2 cups of chilled liquid, stir into the meat mixture and cook over low heat, stirring frequently for five to ten minutes.
- Serve HOT on split buns.