Author Notes: sheep & cow's milk cultured butter. cultured butter is a blessing, it's a real butter full of grassy undertones and delicious sweet cream. it's something you will smile at and enjoy without guilt. —eyeoftheavocado
pint raw cream
tablespoons good quality sheep's yogurt
- to make the butter you simply add the cream to a good size bowl with high walls, whisk it a bit.
- secondly, add the yogurt to the cream w/ the salt and again whisk a bit. let sit in a warm area for 8 hours or over night to culture.
- post culturing, put the ingredients in a mixer fitted w/ a paddle. once you have a lump of butter in a pool of buttermilk. shift the lump in a colander. save the buttermilk!
- flatten the butter lump and chill for 30 min.
- knead it under water in a bowl, removing the trapped pockets of buttermilk in the butter. it will sour the butter. let it dry out a bit. put it in a butter keeper or wrap it in parchment and refrigerate.
- voila! you have the uttermost delicious butter & buttermilk ready for countless adventures, you will never want to go back to store bought.