Author Notes: I do not know about your kids but when mine come home from school they usually ask for a snack. Snacks before dinner are tricky; too much and they don'€™t eat dinner, too little and they complain that they are STARVING until dinners ready. I always try to offer them something healthy (which they usually accept without complaint) but sometimes even I know that baby carrots just will not cut it. Sometimes a snack needs to be healthy, but seem like a treat. Hello homemade snack bars. —beetsandbluecheese.com
Makes: a dozen bars (give or take)
cup chunky almond butter
cups puffed brown rice cereal
cup dried cranberries
cup slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
cup mini chocolate chips
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment or wax paper and set aside. In a small sauté pan toast the almonds. Allow to cool slightly and roughly chop.
- Place the cereal, almonds and dried cranberries in a large bowl, being sure that cranberries are not all clumped together. Set aside.
- In the pan you used to toast the almonds melt together the butter and almond butter, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, add the honey and stir until fully incorporated. Pour the mixture over the cereal and stir to evenly coat.
- Press the cereal mixture into the parchment lined pan. Scatter the top with chocolate chips and lightly press them into the sticky cereal mixture. Place the pan in the freezer for 20 minutes to set.
- Remove pan from the freezer, use the parchment paper to lift the contents out and slice into individual bars. Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container between sheets of waxed paper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal