Author Notes: The candied bacon in these rich, not-too-sweet chocolate chip cookies gives a nice smoky flavor. Definitely a must-have treat for all your bacon and chocolate lovers. —melomel
Makes 28 cookies
- 2 pieces thick-cut bacon
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
Chocolate Chip Cookie
- 10 5/8 ounces flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled until just warm
- 7 ounces light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Start with the candied bacon so it has time to cool. Heat the oven the 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a jellyroll pan with aluminum foil and set a wire cooling rack on the foil. Set aside.
- Place 2 strips of bacon in a quart-sized self-sealing bag, along with 2 tbsp of brown sugar. Massage the sugar onto the bacon. Remove from the bag and stretch out along the cooling rack on the pan.
- Once all the bacon is in place, sprinkle on 1 tbsp of brown sugar. Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, flip over the bacon and sprinkle on the last tbsp of brown sugar.
- Place back in the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Once cooled, crumble the candied bacon and set aside.
- For the cookies, heat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and position the racks upper- and lower-middle positions. Line 2 large baking sheets with bakers silicone or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment mix the butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Beat in the egg, yolk and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients gradually and beat at low speed just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and the crumbled candied bacon
- Form about 1 tbsp of the dough into a rough ball. Do not flatten; if anything, make the ball a little taller than it is wide.
- Bake until the cookies for 7-8 minutes, then rotate the sheets front to back and top to bottom, baking for an additional 7-8 minutes.
- Let the cookies stand on the baking sheets for a minute or two, then transfer them to cooling racks.