Author Notes: If you happen to go to Germany or Austria during Christmas, both in the city or on the ski slopes you'll find this amazing Hot Wine served in mugs. The first time I saw people drinking it I thought it was hot chocolate. I was freezing cold on the ski slope and thought that maybe that hot chocolate would warm me up. As I don't speak German I pointed to the drink. Well, no need to tell you what happened...not only did I warm up, but I also zig zagged my way down the slope like a Pro! —Maria Teresa Jorge
bottles of Red Wine (750ml each)
bottles of Blueberry wine (750ml each)
cups brown sugar
- To be done the previous night so spices and lemon infuse the hot wine.
- Wash the lemons very well and insert 5 cloves in each lemon.
- In a large pot, add both wines, the lemons with the cloves, the sugar, the cinnamon sticks and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 4 minutes. Don't let the wine boil, just keep it simmering.
- Remove from the heat and add the brandy. Cover and allow to infuse overnight.
- When ready to serve, warm up the Gluehwein, strain and serve warm in cups. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Punch