Author Notes: I love a good Lemon and Poppy seed muffin and I wanted to try and make this classic flavour combo in cookie form. These are soft and chewy and so wonderfully flavoursome. I tend not to be that adventurous in the kitchen, sticking mainly to recipes, so this experimentation in the kitchen was rather novel for me. —Nelsy
grams brown sugar
teaspoons lemon juice
grams plain flour
teaspoon bicarb of soda
teaspoon baking powder
grams candied lemon peel
grams poppy seeds
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy (takes about 5 mins with a mixer)
- Add the egg and lemon juice and mix well
- Sift flour, bicarb of soda and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in wet ingredients until just combined
- Mix in the candied lemon peel and poppy seeds
- In an ideal world you should leave the cookie dough in the fridge for 24 hours for a super chewy cookie. I very rarely can wait this long and usually bake them immediately - this just makes for a crispier cookie.
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees C. If you've had the dough in the fridge for 24 hours, let it come back to room temperature so it'll be more malleable and easier to shape
- Shape cookie dough into golf ball sized balls. Place them on baking trays, pressing down slightly
- Bake for 12-15 mins.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!