If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: healthy homemade calzone recipe —honeyhoney
Makes 1 serving
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- dash salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion and fennel
- 1/2 clove of garlic (minced)
- dash of sugar
- 1 cup kale (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce or marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup shreded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- dash of oregano, red pepper flakes
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water with the sugar and salt.. Let sit for five minutes until frothy and bubbly.
- Combine the flour, salt and dried herbs in a large bowl. Pour in the yeast mixture and then slowly stream in the olive oil. Knead the dough for about eight minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place a clean dishcloth over the bowl and set in a warm spot. Let rise for a bit. preheat oven to 450. While your dough is rising, make the filling. Mix together the mozzarella cheese and parmesan, garlic, onions, fennel, steamed and chopped kale and red pepper flakes, oregano etc
- After the dough has risen, Roll each ball out to a circle. The dough should be thin. spread some tomato sauce and place the filling on half of the dough circle and fold the empty side over to make a half moon shape. Seal edges completely and cut three small slits in the top.. Place calzones on your prepared baking sheet. Bake calzones for 15- 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool.