Author Notes: This is a take on Warm German Potato Salad with a classic bacon vinaigrette and white beans for potatoes. Nice as a side dish or on a buffet table, it's good served warm or at room temperature. And easy to make in one pan! —inpatskitchen
Serves: 4 to 6
cup diced sweet onion
cup granulated sugar
cup apple cider vinegar
3 to 4
cups cooked white beans (Cannelini or Great Northern) or 2 15.5 ounce cans
green onions, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
Parsley leaves for garnish
- In a large saute pan, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove to paper toweling, leaving the bacon drippings in the pan.
- Add the diced sweet onion to the pan and saute until softened. Over medium heat stir in the sugar and vinegar and let come up to a simmer.
- Rinse and drain the beans and add them to the pan. Gently simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Chop the bacon pieces and add them along with the sliced green onion to the pan. Simmer another minute or two and then season with salt and pepper.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the bean mixture to a serving bowl. There will be liquid left in the pan. Simmer for a few minutes until it thickens to a light syrup.
- Pour the syrup over the beans, garnish with the parsley leaves and serve warm or at room temperature.