If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In North Carolina, barbecue is a noun, not a verb. Enjoy the sweet, spicy, vinegar-ness of this classic Eastern North Carolina pulled pork recipe. —ohrista
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 4-6 lb pork shoulder
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place onions in slow cooker.
- Combine the rest of the spice rub ingredients and rub onto pork roast. Place rubbed roast into the slow cooker.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients. Drizzle half over the roast. Cover and refrigerate the rest.
- Cook roast and onions on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.
- Remove meat and onion, debone, remove fat (optional), and shred pork.
- Serve on warmed onion buns and drizzle with reserved sauce.