If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After spending a good amount of time in the Middle East this year, I became obsessed with shawarma and kebabs. With a lot of tinkering, I think I finally hit upon a marinade that works with chicken, beef and lamb. —CookOnTheFly
- 1 pound chicken, beef or lamb - cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes (kebab size)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (I used cider vinegar)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bunch of scallions, cut into 1 1/2 in pieces
- Combine all marinade ingredients (everything but the chicken, beef or lamb). Add meat and marinate overnight.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 20 minutes. String meat on skewers, alternating with scallion pieces.
- Heat grill to medium. Spray grill with olive oil or grill spray. When hot, place skewers of meat on grill. Grill 3-4 minutes on each side, until done (A little more for chicken, a little less for beef or lamb - you decide).