Author Notes: This dessert is simple to put together, but tastes surprisingly complex. It is cool and tart, floral and herbal, creamy and sweet, all in one. If you don't like the idea of flowers in your food, feel free to leave the cream off. The sorbet is delicious as is. —Yossy Arefi
Food52 Review: This is a beautiful sorbet. It is soft and luxuriously textured, beautifully colored, and wonderfully tart and sweet, like sour candies. I love the flavor of rhubarb, so I was concerned about so many other components (gin, lime, rose, and cream) masking its flavor. However, the lime simply enhances the rhubarb's sour notes, while the gin enhances its woodiness. The alcohol itself is not too strong, either -- it's not until the last moment when the juniper fragrance of the gin comes through. —Chris Van Houten
For the rhubarb and gin sorbet:
ounces granulated sugar
pound rhubarb, chopped
tablespoons fresh lime juice
tablespoons light corn syrup
tablespoons gin, plus a little more for serving
For the rose cream:
ounces heavy cream
drops rose water, more to taste
teaspoons granulated sugar
- For the sorbet: Combine the sugar and water in a medium saucepan and heat on medium high, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Add in the rhubarb and simmer until the rhubarb is very tender and beginning to fall apart, about 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the mixture to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth. Add in the lime juice and corn syrup. Chill thoroughly.
- Just before churning, stir in the gin. Freeze and churn the chilled mixture in an ice cream machine, according to the manufacturer's instructions. Store in the freezer in an airtight container.
- For the rose cream: Whip the cream to soft peaks, then add in the sugar, followed by the rose water (one drop at a time) until desired flavor is reached.
- To serve: Top scoops of sorbet with a few drops of chilled gin and a spoonful of rose cream.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert