- Serves 4
Found on Simply Recipes —Gwen Yager
grated cheddar cheese
strips of bacon
chopped green onion
In This Recipe
- Bake the potatoes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Scrub the potatoes clean under running water. Poke each potato in several places with the tines of a fork so that they don't explode when cooking. Rub the potatoes with some olive oil. Place directly on the top rack of the oven. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through. They should give a little when pressed.
- If you are including bacon as one of your mix-ins, while the potatoes are cooking, cook the bacon in a frying pan on medium low heat for 15 minutes, or until crisp. Drain on paper towel. Let cool. Crumble.
- Allow the potatoes to cool, should feel cool when touched. Slice the top third lengthwise off the potatoes. Use a spoon to scoop out the insides, forming a canoe shape. Leaving about 1/4 inch of potato on the skin.
- Place the scooped out potato insides, sour cream, milk, cream, and butter into a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher. Do not over beat the potatoes, as they can become glue like.
- Mix in the extras with the potatoes. Reserve some of the extras to sprinkle on the tops of the potatoes. Spoon fillings into the potato shells. Sprinkle with extra toppings.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place potatoes on a roasting pan and bake 15-20 minutes until heated through.