Author Notes: I love coconut and wanted a good way to enjoy the coconut as a sweet snack. I don't care for packaged coconut so we came up with this. I've tried this with several types of coconuts and found the brown coconuts work best. —ladywild
Makes: 2 cups
meat from fresh brown coconut
teaspoons vanilla extract (optional)
- Cut the coconut meat into 1/4 inch squares. The more uniform the better.
- Combine the water and sugar into a saucepan and bring to a low boil.
- Add fresh coconut. Boil for 1 hour at a very low boil. Stir occasionally. The coconut should be transparent.
- Preheat the oven to 275F. Prepare a large cookie sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Stir in extract if using. Use a slotted spoon to remove the coconut from the syrup and spread onto the prepared cookie sheet. Make sure the coconut is a single layer and has some space between the pieces. Save the syrup in the refrigerator (works great as a substitute for simple syrup or on pancakes).
- Bake the coconut until lightly golden brown. Stir every 20 minutes. Depending on the moisture of the individual coconut this could take between 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Store in an airtight container.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut