If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Caramelized Coconut Cake is a cake that I CRAVE. The cake is moist, spongy and has great flavor. However the very best part of this cake is the topping. After the cake is made I put a mixture of coconut, brown sugar and butter on top of the cake and PLACE IT UNDER THE BROILER. That’s right, the broiler. It toasts the coconut and caramelizes the brown sugar and butter. Incroyable! —Donna Sawyer Celebrating Life & Food
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 4 Eggs
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
Caramelized Coconut Topping
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups Flaked Coconut
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- Pinch Salt
- Preheat the oven too 350degree. Butter and flour a 13x 9-inchhh baking pan.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk and butter until scalding
- In the meantime, start beating the eggs with an electric mixer. Add the sugar, and beat well until thick and foamy. With the beater on low speed, gradually add the hot milk mixture and the vanilla.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Beat this into the egg mixture with mixer on low speed. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, testing with a toothpick after 25 minutes to see if the cake is done. Cool the cake slightly in the pan.
- Prepare the topping: Melt the butter in a saucepan, and add the brown sugar. Stir in the coconut and vanilla and dash of salt.
- Spread the coconut topping over the cake. Place it under the broiler, 4 to 6 inches from the heat, and broil until the topping is bubbling and brown. Turn the cake if necessary to brown it evenly. Watch very carefully, as it turns from done to burnt in an instant.
- Let the cake cool to room temperature. Cut it into squares to serve
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
More Great Recipes: