If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: slightly sweet, slightly tangy with the cream cheese, with and a hint of spice. these are chewy and highly adaptable with fun add ins like chocolate and nuts. —kerrita k.
Makes ~ 24 macaroons
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg
- 12 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1. optional - if you like more coconutty flavor lightly toast a handful of coconut in a the oven while it is preheating.
- 2. blend milk, cream cheese, vanilla, and spices until completely blended and there are no cream cheese lumps.
- 3. add egg, blending on low until incorporated.
- 4. add coconut and amendments (including the toasted coconut if you choose) - chocolate chips here, but also good with same volume of chopped nuts, dried cranberries, diced crystallized ginger, diced dried apricots.
- 5. mixture should hold together in a ball when pinched. scoop out with an ice cream scoop, forming ½ ball mounds (so you get chewy center with crisp edges) and put on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Space the about an inch apart (they do not spread).
- 6. bake for 18-20 minutes in a 425 oven. let cool on the cookie sheet
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
More Great Recipes: