This is a loving homage to a traditional caramel slice bar i had while backpacking around Australia. This version is more well, adult-y with additional more nuanced flavors. Perfect for people who don't necessarily like coconut. —kerrita k.
- Makes 18-24 bars
unsweetened coconut shreds. small-medium
whole wheat flour
sugar (i like the organic, molasses-y kind)
ras el hanout or garam masala
can sweetened condensed milk
bittersweet chocolate chips
60% or higher chocolate pieces
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 355 degrees F.
- Cover 9 by 13 glass pan with 1 long strip of parchment paper.
- Combine first 6 shortbread ingredients then spread evenly with the back of a spoon into glass pan. Don’t worry about corners – it’ll spread.
- Bake until golden brown. Around 15 minutes. While this cooks make the filling.
- Combine next 5 salted caramel ingredients in a medium pan, stir until boiling.
- Lower heat and continue stirring for 5 more minutes. Mixture should be a beautiful tannish color. Like a medium roux.
- Stir constantly - will stick otherwise and texture’ll get weird instead of sublime.
- Spread over baked cookie. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Spread chocolate pieces evenly over hot caramel and spread as it melts. Better it not mixed evenly so bites vary.
- Let cool. Cutting after about 10 minutes is easy.
- Refrigerate if you want - store in the fridge. in the pan. I never have any left over for storage.