If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a loving homage to a traditional caramel slice bar i had while backpacking around Australia. This version is more well, adult-y with additional more nuanced flavors. Perfect for people who don't necessarily like coconut. —kerrita k.
Makes 18-24 bars
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut shreds. small-medium
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup sugar (i like the organic, molasses-y kind)
- 1 pinch ras el hanout or garam masala
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 14 ounces can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 5 ounces 60% or higher chocolate pieces
- Preheat oven to 355 degrees F.
- Cover 9 by 13 glass pan with 1 long strip of parchment paper.
- Combine first 6 shortbread ingredients then spread evenly with the back of a spoon into glass pan. Don’t worry about corners – it’ll spread.
- Bake until golden brown. Around 15 minutes. While this cooks make the filling.
- Combine next 5 salted caramel ingredients in a medium pan, stir until boiling.
- Lower heat and continue stirring for 5 more minutes. Mixture should be a beautiful tannish color. Like a medium roux.
- Stir constantly - will stick otherwise and texture’ll get weird instead of sublime.
- Spread over baked cookie. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Spread chocolate pieces evenly over hot caramel and spread as it melts. Better it not mixed evenly so bites vary.
- Let cool. Cutting after about 10 minutes is easy.
- Refrigerate if you want - store in the fridge. in the pan. I never have any left over for storage.
More Great Recipes: Desserts