Author Notes: This recipe is based on a favourite South African dessert, the good old Peppermint crisp tart. Turning it into ice cream sandwiches not only gives a nod to the new 'double dessert' trend but also makes a great treat for outdoor barbeques (or as 'braais' as we call them in South Africa!). —The Kate Tin
milliliters caramel or dulce de leche
peppermint chocolate bar, crushed or chopped
- Beat the cream until stiff then fold in the caramel and peppermint chocolate, leaving a few swirls. If you can't get hold of peppermint chocolate, simply substitute for chopped or grated chocolate and 1 or 2 drops of peppermint essence or liqueur.
- Freeze the mixture in a lined 20 x 20cm baking dish so it’s about 2cm thick, until firm.
- Once firm, arrange the biscuits on top and cut the ice cream into squares.
- Remove each square, sandwiching another tennis biscuit on the bottom of each ice cream slice. Arrange on a baking tray and freeze again until firm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert